Thud the First: Goes to FEMA. With the Nor-Easter "Athena" hammering the Northeast Coast of the US just a week after Hybrid Storm Sandy paid her call, and the recovery and re-constitution effort from Sandy just getting started there, guess what? FEMA took a "snow day" yesterday! Yep, the EEE-mergency filk our Government is so in love with took the day off to stay warm and dry as about 4 to 6 inches of wet snow pelted down in the damaged area. That rates a resounding F.A.I..L. If you are the nuts of a recovery and reconstitution effort (I have managed in that regard in the military AND in my work as a Deputy Sheriff), you DO NOT take a day off. You stay at your post until the clean-up is done and all affected residents have services restored with which they can carry on basic life. My orders? First Sergeant, put FEMA on the list of agencies which will NOT be brought back in the Second Republic. That is all.
Thud the Second: Goes to the Grand Old Party. Yep, the Republicans, the dear "Rs". I think that it can be safely said that you good 'ol boys fairly well farged this election up, and did it by the numbers! Because I might want to do something else today besides hammer on your sorry asses, here's a bullet-point list of how this failure of yours went down:
- You were too "fair", way back two years ago when the campaign started. You let the nomination process drag on for an eternity, and that overly-long process sapped the patience and reserve of everyone who has adopted your political philosophy. How many "front-runners" did we have? Five or so, one after the other? I don't know about you hosers, but I was bored silly after the first two, eh?
- You failed to set your standard. You never gave any guidance to your nomination prospects as to what was an acceptable version of your politics, and as a result, we had political philosophies ranging from Ghengis Kahn to Karl Marx trying for the brass ring. Especially, we had the religious fundies who are guaranteed losers on a national stage (read the farging polls, idiots).
- You failed to see the threat. When Romney finally DID lock it all up, the opposition had been gifted with a full year to get his number, and they nailed their opposition down: concentrate on his work as a hedge-fund CEO, which requires the closing of some underperforming businesses. Make him look like the evil capitalist, and ignore the fact that he ran several other major entities very successfully, including the Democratik People's Republik of Taxachusetts and the Winter Olympics. You failed to predict these attacks on your man, and you also failed to steer him towards any effective response to the attacks.
- Romney's fail. You, big guy, kept your excellent executive personna hidden until the first debate. Didn't you read anything about Ronald Reagan? After years of economic malaise, Reagan got out his cheerleader suit and successfully raised everyone's hopes for recovery, while painting Carter as a guy who would never lead the USA to recovery. You should have just copied that act, but you remained Mister Starched Collar CEO Guy, and inspired no one, at least until the first debate, by which time it was too late.
- Truth Squad. Where was the GOP Truth Squad? If there was one, it was a shadow of what it should have been. Obama got away with the most outrageous lies. At least when Kerry's Swift Boat lies were exposed, and Dan Rather was exposed for leading that liar's brigade, Bush's folks managed to get it out to the voting public effectively. Not one of Axelrod's or Plouffe's lies was ever successfully refuted, or even exposed as to origin, except in the blogs, and you filk completely failed to use THAT resource.
- Voting strategy. Obama won with barely a one-percent bulge in the popular vote, but with a 10% overage of Electoral College votes. How did THAT happen? Why couldn't you see THAT coming? Instead of concentrating on trying to marginally boost your statewide take in seven states, why didn't you concentrate on taking Obama out of the race in his strongholds, such as Cuyahoga County, OH or Fairfax County, VA? You were scrambling for pebbles in the riverbed while the entire mountain was sliding down to bury you (yeah, yeah, hindsight is always 20-20).
- The abortion nuts. Mitt, you did a masterful job of keeping your controversial Mormon religion out of the spotlight, but some of the idiots carying your banner were not so masterful as to THEIR controversial religion. Akin and Mourdock come to mind with their bonehead ideas on abortion. Look, let's put it this way: the Christian religion is morally flexible enough to forgive the major sin of murder when a life is taken in a just war, or a criminal's life is taken when he is committing serious crime, so why is it wrong to abort a fetus which is only there as a result of the sin of rape? If and when you GOP wallahs take the field of political battle again, you'd better strike the Abortion streamer from your battle colors. Far too few of your followers will stay in the battle with that streamer on your battle-standard.
Okay then, those are the high points of Romney's fail. Personally, I would add to it an aggravating financial team, dunning me for dollars every time I turned around to read my emails, and trying to phone me at all hours of the day and into the night with annoying robo-dialing machines (I was TOTALLY successful, and intercepted every one of these hundreds of calls without answering any of them). This fail of 2012 was epic. A President who had a record of non-performance as bad as Obama's, and a record of dictatorial over-reach as bad as Obama's should have been an easy target. Your failure to end his predation on our society is doubly regrettable, as history is likely now to write your failure down as the last gasp of a constitutional, principled society in the battle to save itself from Socialist mediocracy. America dies, not with a stilled battle-cry on it's lips, but a whine of defeat.
I'm ready for the Second Republic now. Perhaps we'd better see what can now be done to bring the formal end of this First Republic and properly start the Second Republic.