Rand Paul, who passes for the brains behind the Libertarian Movement these days, apparently wants to run for Prexy in '16, and he wants to run on a platform of...
...wait for it...
Immigration Amnesty (disguised as Obama's "Path to Citizenship" idea), Cut Defense (the old, tried and untrue, "Fortress America" doctrine, and Legal Pot.
Yep, Rand paul wants to hog the Latino Vote, the Peacenik Vote and the Doper Vote.
Now that's a real smart plan. NOT! We need to disenfranchise those illegals, those dunderhead peaceniks and those dopers, not buy their votes!
Rep. Paul, this is a Nation of Laws, one in which you have sworn as a Representative to Congress, to uphold those laws. We are also the World's Best Hope for Democracy, not the UN, which falsely makes that claim. It is up to the US to defend the world against Islamic Terror, because most other nations choose the path of accomodating Islamist terror. Most Latinos in the Nation came here illegally, and that issue MUST be addressed by EVERY ONE of those people turning themselves in and agreeing to compensate any US institution which they leeched off of up until their surrender, BEFORE any idea of "Path to Citizenship" can even be considered.
Ron Paul, Take Your Seat and listen.
Defense isn't going to be cut. It might be cleaned up a bit, forced to adopt efficiencies and end practices of graft and bribery, but we still need to be on top of the Defense game to remain in the position we HAVE to be in vis-a-vis the rest of the planet.
I'll go with legalizing pot when, and not before, proper technical ways exist to determine pot intoxication. If we simply legalize it, as Washington State and Colorado have just done (and they tried here in Oregon but failed), we will be run over, economy-wise AND physically, by stoners. Pot IS an intoxicating substance, and as such, deserves to be controlled at least as well as we control the use of alcohol as a recreational intoxicating substance. If you don't think that this is much of an economic threat, please do just a bit of research into the decline and fall of the USSR. They allowed workers to be intoxicated, even supporting vodka breaks in factories. The resulting inefficiency, industrial accident rates, etc, contributed heavily to the fall of the Evil Empire, and they all point to the failure of any official policy towards allowing intoxication outside of the home as an escape from daily issues of privation.
As for immigration, I am ALL FOR allowing guest workers to come here and work, under these conditions:
- The US keeps track of every single one. A monthly reporting requirement isn't too much to ask of both the worker AND his/her employer. Any failed reporetees immediately have warrants of arrest issued AND SERVED, by bounty hunters if the dot-gov can't manage the necessary arrest rate. Those arrested for failiung to report are IMMEDIATELY deported. Next-day IMMEDIATELY.
- The US of A agrees to make all institutions whole that have suffered losses by having to support illegal immigrants. A simple background investigation can be designed to add up the cost of each illegal immigrant personally. Those immigrants must be made responsible for paying back those costs as a condition of gaining citizenship, and the costs must be paid back BEFORE citizenship is granted. It goes without saying that all immigrants waiting on the "Path to Citizenship" must pay taxes, and all must be willing to work to pay those taxes. No free rides, ever again.
- The "Dream Act" is rescinded. It's racist.
- The "Anchor Baby" policy is rescinded.
- The border is adequately manned by the Military to prevent further illegal immigration. Only such Fences as the military deems appropriate will be built.