Here are a couple of items you might have overlooked.
Former US Rep Gabby Giffords will make a "big" announcement tomorrow. I'm going to stick my neck out and predict it is that she will be Bloomie's new (gun) Control poster-girl. I wish her luck in her recovery, but I hope she fails at helping Mayor Michael Bloomberg dismantle the US Bill of Rights. There's a hint of her new role in this screed. Today's local fishwrap also had a short paragraph teasing the "big" announcement set for tomorrow.
The fishwrap had a longer screed on Smilin' Joe ("I'm too sexy for my teeth") Biden's work. Just so you might have an outside chance of retaining your breakfast, the Rivrdog News Reading Service has sacrificed MY breakfast to save yours (okay, I did have three donut holes and a cuppa joe). Biden's ambitious schedule in the shotgun-attack on the Constitution reads like this:
- "Universal Background Checks" i.e. Federal ban on private sales or transfers. This was mentioned before, and until all armed criminals decide to disarm and obey laws, it will NOT result in disarming any criminals. It will disarm only law-abiding citizens while it stretches any current definition of the 2A beyond credulity. Want to hear more secession talk, Mister President? Just ban private sales/transfers of firearms.
- Track sales and transfers though a national database. This is complete Federal gun registration, pure and simple. First step to confiscation is registration. Ask the Canadians how that Registry of theirs worked. Ask the Aussies. Hint: it failed, despite costing over 1,000 times as much as initially proposed in Canada. Gun violence went up in Canada after the Registry and it's supporting laws went into effect, and Canada already had laws strictly controlling the possession of handguns and semi-auto rifles.
- "Strengthen Mental Health checks". Here comes the Gulag. I've written extensively in recent weeks on the history of using "mental health guidelines" to provide dictatorial powers. So did Aleksandr Solzhenitzsyn.
- "Stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools". The Feds want to intrude on State gun laws? My State of Oregon doesn't prohibit legal gun-bearers from going by a school while packing, so why should the Feds force that issue? Once again, something to make honest people into criminals and give criminals a freer hand. How well do those "gun-free zones" work again? About as well as the 1,000-foot "drug-free zones" work to keep weed out of schools.
- "Stiffen penalties for giving guns to minors." Okay, there should be penalties for giving a minor a gun. Oh, wait! There already are laws & penalties. How is this new initiative going to work any better than the present laws? Define "giving guns to minors". This sounds like an entry to Federal control of all guns via "safe storage" laws. The Feds know that they can't control all guns, there are too many of them in private hands, so they have to deny the R2KBA by some other means, and this is one of those means - lock them all up, all the time. Ask Chicago how well this law works. Ask New Yawk Citeh. It doesn't work. Common sense says secure your guns, and I do, but that's my choice. There are no minors in this home anymore except when they come to visit, and I have a plan for that. My plan, not the Feds' plan.
I'm sure that this relatively short list will be expanded. For example, this screed doesn't even mention all the features of Sen. Feinstein's semi-auto ban, or magazine capacity bans. It DOES suggest that Biden's crew of Civil-Rights-wreckers is considering which measures to have President Obama perform as Executive Orders, something we've warned about extensively before in this blog.
Stay alert. Force yourself to read this all bile about the 2A going away. Sometimes you get something new when you think you're just going to get rehashed tripe. The other initiative not currently being talked about is that Joe Biden now has clearance to chivvy the various State Legislatures along with their gun-control agendas. He will do that through Bloomie, I'd bet. Bloomie has tons of money to do that with, and a grateful Obama will see to it that he gets to deduct every penny spent from his taxes.
We defenders of the 2A have one gun that Uncle Joe Stalin Biden can't ban: the ballot box. Biden's attack on the most important Civil Right in the entire Bill of Rights is cause for terminating some political careers at the ballot box in 22 months, plus ending Democratic party control of the White House. Even Old Joe probably knows that. Obama has schmoozed his way into the Presidency twice, largely on White Guilt, but Federal gun-grabs have a way of crossing political AND racial lines. Let's get the "chatter" going, starting now: weaken the 2A and find another job, Senator. The gun-control agenda has the potential, more than any other issue including fiscal issues, to flop the US Senate over to the other side. We need to play that card NOW, play it often, and play it again in November 2014. It's likely that if the chatter gets loud enough and persistent enough, Harry Reid will stop-cock most, if not all the gun-control Bills to come his way, just to save his Senate Majority.
Personally, this blogger thinks that the "Biden Commission" is a maskirovka, a stage-play to make the gun-banning Left think that Obama is going to take down the 2A. Frankly, I doubt if Obama has the guts to write those sweeping Executive orders, not that he doesn't want to, but because if he does, it will throw the spotlight on the un-mistakeable history of EOs he has already written, far in excess of the usual use of Presidential powers. EOs attacking the Bill of Rights might just attract the attention of the SCOTUS to look at all of his EOs, and Obama doesn't want that. No siree Bob, he doesn't want that.