That was the Week that Was:
Politics, two growls:
1. The PopeScams. His Hollowness, Pope Francis, comes to the US of A to spread Catholicism Socialism. He says nothing against our enemy, radical Islam (the same as ordinary Islam). He is all re-distribution of income, all the time. He is also all greenscam PopeScam all the time.
2. The GOPe political season. The news here is that Fox News has turned unabashedly RINO. They are all Dump Trump, all the time. Their only salvation is that they don't seem to be pushing any RINO very hard, just railing against the three non-insiders, Trump, Carson and Fiorina. The lack of Fox enthusiasm for RINOs seems to be more about waiting for a clear front-running RINO to emerge. What Fox is too stupid to realize is that Trump IS the RINO they are looking for. They would be all for Trump if he would just agree to play with the RNC's ball and not keep tossing that one over the fence.
Sports, several growls:
1. The Ducks suck, but I have already written about that.
2. The Eagles suck. I thought that decent talent plus a superb coach would be the magic formula for success, but I may have missed that train, boat, whatever...
3. The Seahawks suck. The vaunted Defense is no more. The offense doesn't dazzle anyone. No Championship for them.
4. I played soccer before it was popular, in the Fifties. I know the game, and I know that the MLS Portland Timbers suck.
Let's find something to cheer about.
1. My wife's old High School, Roosevelt, had an alumni dinner event, and we were graciously hosted by a local sportsman of note. The alumni have a Pep Band, and it was GOOD, albeit a bit much for the confines of the banquet room we were in. This fine evening was capped off with your blogger winning a raffled $50 gift cert to a fine local restaurant!
Also at this event, I was advised of a fine program the school and alums are putting on to steer some citizenship towards the students: it's called "Youth and the Law", and it gives the kids the lowdown on what's legal activity and what isn't. Yes, the parents ought to be teaching their kids this, but sadly, in many cases at RHS, the parents never learned those lessons either.
2. Fall is here! Aside from the leaf messes, it's my favorite season. It was a delicious 34 degrees at 0700 when I went out to get my Sunday blatt. Hottest Summer on record, you are HISTORY!
Enough growling. Now that my throat is clear enough to cheer, I will watch the Titans kick some Colt butt, and sip a Hot Honey, Lemon and Bourbon to ward off whatever attacked me last night.